[aprssig] [aprsfi] VK4TEC pushing ADS-B data to APRS-IS

Peter Laws N5UWY n5uwy at arrl.net
Wed Jul 20 10:56:44 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Heikki Hannikainen via aprssig
<aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:

> It seems like Andrew VK4TEC has started to gateway ADS-B data to the
> APRS-IS.
>
> http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&limit=300&call=VK4TEC*&view=normal
>
> I do not think that this is a great idea - the APRS-IS is supposed to be a
> network for amateur radio communications, and quite a lot of people depend
> on it being just that.

As has been made clear recently (to me if no one else) just because
you see it on APRS.fi or another internet service, doesn't mean it's
"on APRS".  AIS is there, too, but those ships aren't "on APRS".

I look at APRS.fi all the time since getting re-interested in APRS but
I have yet to see a single ship ID in EM15 ...