[aprssig] High speed modems?

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Jul 18 06:49:15 EDT 2016

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 4:04 AM, SARTrack Admin via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> Looking at the TAPR website, most of the things I find there are very old.  I would like to find some kind of system which uses the latest technologies to get the most data over a bandwidth which can still be used in VHF/UHF.

There was a very sweet 56k modem by WA4DSY, with a nice ATLANTA LAN and Georgia WAN. Dale also used it as his internet connection back in the day, in fact the first (ONE WAY! ;-) IGate was written by Dale and operated over this link, and it always worked great. The modem was expensive (manufactured by PacComm) and required a transverter, but of course technology passed it by and it is long out of production. And it would not be close to "latest technology"!

TAPR learned its lesson in trying to make its own data radio in the years around 2000. Without massive (for us) funding to pay for full-time development it moved slowly enough that key parts were End-of-Lifed necessitating a complete redesign or large outlay to buy a life-long supply. Never went beyond prototype.

There isn't much call for data rates like this any longer, but if there were I would guess it would just be a matter of software for a good SDR to be repurposed for this. Yea, just software ;-)

Steve K4HG