[aprssig] IGate (Identification? (RO or RT)?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Sat Jul 16 12:06:38 EDT 2016

As a follow-up to the post below, I have updated the q construct documentation (http://www.aprs-is.net/q.aspx)  to show the qAO construct can be generated by an IGate in addition to by a server.  I have also updated the IGate integral client in javAPRSSrvr to generate the qAO construct instead of the qAR construct if it has RF transmit turned off.  This does not alter server code at all nor does it require any modification to bidirectional IGates.  This solely extends the original intent of the qAO construct of indicating a non-messaging capable IGate to the actual IGate in addition to the server the IGate is attached to.  It also does not alter in any way the operation of APRS-IS and only acts as an indicator of IGate messaging support.

Again, this is not a recommended mode of operation except in special cases such as the when running as a Satgate.  The preferred mode of operation when acting as a fill-in IGate (much like a fill in digipeater) is to operate such that only messages addressed to stations heard directly by the IGate are gated to RF to be as least interfering as possible while fully supporting APRS messaging.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net