[aprssig] IGATE message routing bug?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jul 15 10:27:04 EDT 2016

In preparation for the Golden Packet event, a few of us noticed that we
were not getting ANY messages into or out of the ANSRVR or CQSRVR.

Turns out, the local IGates or APRS-IS were not recognizing our stations
(as being local) until/unless the message station first sent a position
report.

Please  confirm that this is not a huge bug in APRS-IS behavior that does
not recognize an APRS station (in the IGate/APRS-IS system) unless and ONLY
IF it sends a valid position report.  This is not how APRS messaging is
supposed to work.  There should not be any dependence on a position report
for 2-way messageing to work.

Is it the failure of some local IGates or is it some kind of filtering
issue in the APRS-IS.

Where do we fix this?

Thanks

Bob