[aprssig] SATgates ? (again)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Jan 26 11:52:37 EST 2016

> On Jan 26, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Kenneth Finnegan via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> Yes. That's another big reason why so many of us are advocating against this mode even being an option.

First, it is not an issue for all satellites. For example ISS sends no significant data in its beacons.

Second, I agree it must not be a default least the telemetry frames of some sats be trashed, but I still think it should be an option. In those cases where an IGate is close to one or more hams trying to work the satellite it can be turned on instead of losing the gate entirely. But there are better options.

Most IGates already have a blessed list, this can be used to IGate all packets. If you want a set-and-forget option with no need for a blessed list, instead of sending direct packets to the bit bucket delay them 10 seconds to give a chance for the digipeated version to be propagated through the APRS IS. If it is digipeated and heard by the delaying station the direct packet on hold can be trashed, but even if it is only heard by another IGate the direct version will be dupe-removed.

Steve K4HG