[aprssig] APRS in-dash display

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 00:24:04 EST 2016

Hi folks,

Picking up on a thread I started a while back...  Not sure if this will
lead to something permanent or not, but I tought I'd give it a try.

I got access to the back of my car's in-dash unit, and the video input
connector.  It's meant for use with a back camera, which I currently
don't have (though it's on the wish list...).  Found a VGA to RCA
adapter box, and fired up APRSIS32 which was loaded on a small laptop.
Here's the result:

http://home.wavecable.com/~ko6th/aprs_dash_display.jpg
http://home.wavecable.com/~ko6th/aprs_laptop.jpg

Given the difficulty, if not questionable legality, of controlling a
GUI-based laptop while driving, I think the next steps need to include:

1.  Replace the laptop and VGA adapter with a Raspberry Pi.  VGA output
is built-in, also much better power draw and small size. (The car is a
sports car, so no room for anything bigger.)

2.  Replace APRSIS32 with YAAC (for Raspberry Pi compatiblity).

3.  Probably still need a keyboard for full control while parked, but
add some fixed key switches tied to keyboard shortcuts for the common
stuff while driving.  During the earlier exchange, Andrew figured it was
a "simple" matter of a Java library to bridge the swtiches to keyboard
shortcuts...  Hope he's right.

4.  The Pi will boot itself when the car turns on, but I need a way to
automatically safely power down the Pi when I turn the car off. Any
ideas on this?

Anything else I'm missing?

Greg  KO6TH