[aprssig] Using APRS to support public service events

Bob Harris knineudx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 08:18:03 EST 2016

I have been approached to make a 45-50 minute presentation at this
year's New Hampshire ARES Academy on using APRS to support public
service events. I'd like some specific examples and details from this
august body of how they have used APRS in such events. Also, how it was
done. For example, did each ham have to provide his or her own APRS gear
or did the group (i.e. the radio club) have it in part or in total? What
APRS software was used?

I am familiar with using the tracking feature (sorry, Dr. Bruninga) for
keeping track of the support vehicles during long bike rides so I'd like
examples of other uses. Or even variations of using the position reporting.

What challenges did you face in using APRS? Was there sufficient
permanent infrastructure in place or did you have to augment it?

Any other thoughts?
--

Bob Harris (K9UDX)
Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)