[aprssig] More common overlay symbols?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:59:12 EST 2016

Greetings, all.

I've been perusing the stations reporting overlaid APRS symbols, and found a few more in fairly common use that should possibly be considered for the APRS 1.2 extended symbol list (standard overlays):

A0    AllStar node

M0    DMR (perhaps should suggest users switch to Ma for consistency with other digital voice repeaters?)

V0    EchoLink + IRLP node (or generic multi-protocol VoIP node)

M&    messaging I-gate ???

P&    PSKmail node

S&    digi/I-gate with regional aliases (semi-redundant to I# )

W&    WIRES-X node (as opposed to the existing WIRES-II symbol W0)

S_ or N_    digipeater with weather station (presumably S_ would be for those supporting regional aliases and N_ not, though they aren't consistently used)

Ya    C4FM repeater (would be consistent with the Da symbol used for Dstar repeaters)

I've also seen a few that don't seem to provide much value-added (where the information is redundant to the tocall). These include:

Ba    BPQ-based I-gate

Ia    I-gate (redundant to I& and the more specialized cases of & )

Bn    BPQ-based I-gate + weather (perhaps should be more generic I_ )

1&    1-hop Tx I-gate (redundant to T&)

J&    javAPRSgate

L&    I-gate (Linux-based?)

and the amusing ones like

SU    solar-powered I-gate

RU    seems the same as SU

Just my $.02.

Andrew, KA2DDO

P.S. Do any APRS clients actually support the extended symbol set? The only one I know of is my own program, YAAC. Others are free to use the icons I have drawn to cover some of the extended symbol codes, under the LGPL I have used to license YAAC.