[aprssig] WXBOT -- weather forecast via APRS Message

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Feb 3 08:31:30 EST 2016

Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> writes:

> There is no brittleness caused by dup removal, other than to paths,

Sorry, that's not what I meant.  I did not mean to say that dup removal
is a cause of brittleness, but that the culture of direct injection
together with dup filtering makes it difficult to detect brittleness.

When weather data, or anything else, is sent by Internet direct
injection, then when the Internet fails to function, the data will not
get through.  Around me, people with cable modems, even if they have
backup power at home, lose Internet about 1h after loss of utility
power.

Right now, as far as I can tell, there is no easy way to tell (from
APRS-IS) whether data is also sent over the air and thus would be
available in the event of infrastructure failure, or whether it is
Internet only.  This strikes me as the same issue with the satgate
discussion, where people don't want to disseminate the data by all
available means, but to know if it is working by one of the possible
means.  I think survivability is important, and therefore that both
enhancing survivability and enabling understanding whether the property
holds are important design considerations.

But I see from your note that CWOP is separate (presumably a parallel
CWOP-IS, which display sites merge in); I hadn't realized that.  On
aprs.fi, selecting "APRS stations" and deselecting weather still shows
non-amateur CWOP.  So presumably that's an aprs.fi bug (or lack of
feature, if "APRS" means "data from some IS using the APRS protocol",
rather than meaning "the Amateur APRS network").