[aprssig] APRS football tracking lesson learned

KF4LVZ aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
Mon Dec 12 16:05:27 EST 2016

Is this why Navy lost?

I don't know what vehicles you use but I ran a 50 W mobile from a
cigarette lighter socket for over a year.  Assuming 50% efficiency plus
electronics (CPU, etc) that's about 9 amps at 12 volts.  Most sockets
are fused for greater than that (my car's socket is fused from the
factory for 20 amps).  The quick current spike from a transmit is not
much different than the inrush current of the heating element.