[aprssig] Fwd: Solar Power Works!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Aug 23 15:21:34 EDT 2016

> ...how do you unilaterally increase... your solar system without city
> approval

Once you have a grid meter, in the example I gave I used a 120v plug in
inverter.  And the local electric codes do not apply to any kind of plugin
"appliances".

> . Each of my 22 solar panels has an "Optimizer," (smart dc-dc converter
> itself)

Those are notorious for RFI... The article in a spring QST said he had to
add RF chokes to every optimizer and every panel all over the roof.  Whereas
we recommend just the standard DC string with no invertetrs except the one
where it only takes 3 chokes if there is any RFI in the first place.

> I remained unconvinced about pay-back until I realized the rebates would
> pay 2/3 of the cost.

AMEN!  Why leave those thousands of free $ on the table when going solar is
not only good for us as individuals, but everyone else who has to breath
coal fumes.

Glad to hear you are on board!  And for anyone else who knows eventually
they will go solar, then every monthly utility bill you pay from now until
then is just throwing your own money away with nothing to show for it.  Bob,
WB4aPR