[aprssig] Kenwood D700 Internal TNC Amazingly Mediocre!

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Aug 8 09:16:08 EDT 2016

I remember years ago my buddy FD K4FDS and I noting that his D700 always needed full-quieting packet audio to decode.  Back then, we were routinely putting a D700 up against the HamHUD/KPC-3 setup we both owned and the KPC-3 always blew the D700 out of the water on decode performance.  I have noticed that the D710 seems to have a better decode rate with less than perfect packets.  I guess that has a lot to do with them moving away from the Tassco modem and going to a DSP decoding method.  Much like what we're now doing in the YagTracker and ExpressTracker.  They use SI3000 codec chips to do all of the audio handling.  Remi has done a phenominal job making that little $3 codec do the job of a $10 dedicated AFSK modem chip. Jason Rausch - KE4NYVRPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com