[aprssig] Before You Install Windows 10 (Or even if you don't want to) Read This

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 09:17:49 EDT 2015

Thanks for the head's up, I found that hidden Win 10 folder (4+ GB) on
my Win 7 system also.  I didn't ask to download that.

Some recent updates (affecting Win 7, 8, ?) ruined compatibility for
CD-based games that my son plays, SimCity 4 among them.  One day it just
stopped working.  Under Win 7, I've turned off automatic updates and
uninstalled at least one of them.  In addition to the
privacy/security/adware issues, I wonder how hospitals, the military or
other critical infrastructure could adopt an operating system that might
spontaneously make some application non-functional or stealth download
large amounts of data.

But I do Linux professionally, and have been reducing the number of
Windows-based programs I rely on for many years.

I wish APRSIS can be ported to Java or somesuch.  Probably we should
take stock of legacy Windows ham radio software that remain popular by
active hams today, and build some sort of chart of functionality.  Find
out where the overlaps are, and what new platform-independent or Linux
based projects might come out of that.

I'm also hoping that Kenwood starts to release memory management,
firmware upgrade, and control software in OS-agnostic binaries.

73, KD0KZE / Paul