[aprssig] OT:: Jeep and Radio

Fred Hillhouse Jr fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Wed Sep 16 15:31:24 EDT 2015

Hi Nagi,

>From previous experience of antenna on moving parts, (e.g., trunk lids,
hoods) I would recommend not mounting on the spare tire carrier. I used to
use the lip mounts for antennas and found my wife and other family members
opening and closing the trunk quickly. Of course you are mounting on a
vehicle you may take into the boonies so a study mount and antenna will se
more stress from the road than opening and closely the carrier.

One thought I had is to mount on the roll cage and put a hole in the
fiberglass. A rubber boot like a CV joint boot could be used as the pass
through. I have never picked up a Jeep to test the theory.

Good luck!

One other thought, use a ¼ wave for the in close work and carry a 5/8 or
whatever when stopped. A couple of guys in my area have a Land Rover and
they have a rack inside for carrying their antennas.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

PS. For your researching pleasure:

 <http://www.4x4ham.com/> www.4x4ham.com/