[aprssig] What is the process to make changes to APRS symbols document ?

Tom tom.w1tg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 14:13:18 EDT 2015

Hi Mike,

Please forgive my smile as I read your request...

I'm a new member to the list a few days ago.  I posted a question regarding DStar traffic being removed from the IS Feeds back to IGates.  You can view the details of the question in the message archives.

The crickets were chirping loud and clear in response...

The DStar traffic was removed on 1 Sep and the only way that happened was on the IS Server side by some sort of Global Admin change.  Pretty big change actually...I'd estimate 40-50% reduction in traffic back to my IGate.  I guess you could say that's an argument highlighting a reason for removal.  A reduction in bandwidth...

Let me throw out a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) and say (someone/group/panel) with the power made the decision to pull the plug.  I'll be the first to say that I don't keep my fingers on the pulse of all that is APRS, so maybe there was a discussion/meeting/vote somewhere to do that.  But I'm not seeing that info posted anywhere.  Maybe something broke and nobody realizes it??? Hi hi... Anyhow...

The impression that one is left with is that the DStar traffic is simply unwanted.  A unilateral decision was made to remove it from the everyday feeds apparently without discussion.  So your query to add symbols for those very objects made me smile.

I for one want to see the DStar traffic.  I know that with Server-side filter commands I can easily see the DStar Repeater and Hotspot advertisements.  I just have to figure out the syntax for the digi'd DStar traffic now...hmmmm work never ends

In concert with your request for symbols....
I'll add the request for a new Server-side Filter Command specifically for the Digital modes that are capable of passing APRS traffic.

All the best!

Tom - W1TG
PS - Running a "Real" analog FM, RF based 2-way IGate on UI-View32 along the NH Seacoast