[aprssig] Prius [was:Re: Solar House Symbol & Solar ecstasy!

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 07:24:41 EDT 2015

Yikes, Stephen!  Well, my plan was to mount the ATAS on a trailer hitch ... as far away from the inverter as I could...but to test it first.
I'm pretty good at copper foil encasing of boxes and grounding...but this sounds like a beast.
I may be relegated to 2m and 70 cm...in which case I'll install my 2m/70cm/23cm triband instead. ;-)
Cheers,Ev
      From: Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com>

Where are you going to mount  the antenna?      Have you seen details of my
Prius installation at:

<http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/prius>  ?

If the 2007 is anything like the 2005 (If I recall correctly, 2007 was the same
generation as my 2005), the noise level from high-current DC-DC and DC-AC power
conversion is absolutely horrendous.  HF and 6 are completely unusable.

Even on 2M, I had detectable though desense; i.e. noticeable effects on APRS RX
on my D700.  (S-meter would go up about one bar with the engine running.)

And this was with a no-ground-plane-required end-fed half-wave ant on 2M
(Diamond 770 2M/450 dual-bander).  Don't even think of using a quarter-wave,
5/8ths wave or any other antenna configuration that depends on the body sheet
metal as a ground plane or counterpoise.

This intractable noise problem is one of the main reasons I replaced my Prius
with a VW Jetta TDI diesel.

Details here:  <http://wa8lmf.net/mobile>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF