[aprssig] UIDIGI config and windows 7 etc.

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 15:41:42 EDT 2015

On 10/15/2015 3:22 PM, David Huff via aprssig wrote:
> I had to burn a new EPROM for a UIDIGI using UIDG19B3 (2004 release) and found
> that the config program is not compatible with 64 bit Windows, for example
> Windows 7, Windows 8, or 10.
>
> I was able to find an old XP computer, and make myself a new one using thumb
> drive work, but since most people are moving on from XP, it made me wonder.
>
> Is anybody working on a update to this, or replacement?

NO   The UIdigi project was abandoned by it's author over a decade ago.

UIconfig doesn't work because it's a 16-bit DOS application dating from the Win
3.x era.  Win 95 through XP continued to support 16-bit code along with their
native 32-bit code.

Starting with Windows Vista, Windows no longer supports 16-bit code.    (Win
7-8-10 64-bit support dual mode also, but only 32- and 64-bit.)

Increasingly, one is going to have to resort to virtual machines running Win
2000 or XP to continue to use an increasing number of legacy configuration and
utility programs.

[I have a Windows Virtual PC 2007 machine running Windows XP installed on all
of my Win7 and 8 machines in order to run some ancient Kenwood memory programs
and the config utility for the Kenwood VC-H1 handheld SSTV device that
absolutely positively won't run in current versions of Windows, either 32- or
64-bit.]