[aprssig] Car radio APRS display?

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Sun May 17 23:05:18 EDT 2015

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a new (to me) car, which has a Audio / Nav / etc.
display unit in the dash.  The port for the backup camera is unused (no
camera installed), so I was thinking it would make an interesting place
to push an APRS map.  Baseband video is all that's required.  According
to the manual, the reverse gear interlock can be disabled, so I should
be able to select it when in motion.

I was thinking the original Raspbery Pi might make for a good computer
to drive it, as it is small, runs a full Linux graphical OS, has a
built-in video out, and runs on minimal power.  But, what software to
run, and how to control it without a QWERTY keyboard and/or mouse?
There is no room on the dash or nearby to host a laptop or tablet or
such, and none of the existing software I know of is car-friendly
(thinking driver distractions).

What I really need is something that just comes up with a map and moving
icons.  Maybe a button or two for zoom in/out, one for a list of
stations / messages heard, something simple for sending predefined
messages back.  I'd use one of the small receive-capable "Tracker" sorts
of units to provide the raw data (RF + TNC).  I don't think any of the
existing "Ham HUD" sorts of units have internal maps and video out, but
that would be even ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg  KO6TH