[aprssig] APRS Cron Object Injector

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 23:55:34 EDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:55 PM, KF4LVZ <aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net> wrote:
> For any user that does need regularity in the beacon (without a random
> delay)

Why would users want regularity in APRS-IS beaconing? My script still
ensures that the average interval is exactly what the user specifies,
so what is the advantage of hammering the APRS network on the top of
any minute? APRS channel access depends on being a stochastic process;
based on the original Abramson AHOLA models, introducing entropy
should improve overall APRS network performance.

I mentioned dithering in section 7.1.4 of my thesis, but sadly didn't
have the time to expand on the evidence I had collected showing the
poor level of entropy on the current network. Congestion on the
network collects around even intervals, even while the channel is
relatively empty. http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/theses/1341/

This is a minimalistic solution. Why should users be depended upon to
correctly pick a random offset themselves? That's what the current
scripts depend upon, and users keep picking zero.  By the time they
have the understanding to properly offset their beacons, I would hope
they're no longer using a cron job to beacon their objects.

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/