[aprssig] ***SPAM*** Re: APRS Cron Object Injector

KF4LVZ aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
Sun Mar 22 22:55:06 EDT 2015

Several flavors of cron daemons do allow for specifying an offset such
that the starting time is not on the zeros[1].  Without running an
entire script it's possible to have varying start times and reduce the
load.  Yours just happens to randomize it at each execution which is an
interesting solution.

For any user that does need regularity in the beacon (without a random
delay) then instead of specifying "*/20 * * * *" to run every twenty
minutes you can change the minute field to another representation so
that a fixed delay is inserted pushing the repetition to some other
sequence of minutes.  The two most common are (for the minutes field but
it applies to all):

7-59/20 (one implementation)
*/20+7 (another implementation)

Both of these attempt to start the script at 7 minutes past the hour and
every 20 minutes thereafter.  Change the 7 to some other number to have
a distributed series of executions.  One possibility would be to take
the numeric equivalent of the last letter in the callsign modulo 10.