[aprssig] Correct PSAT & igating

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:41:28 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Max Harper <kg4pid at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kenneth, maybe you are missing the point. I do this for fun and to prove to
> myself that I can do it. I don't do it to prove anything to anyone else.'

If we aren't talking about getting proof online that you have bounced
a packet off a satellite, then you're correct; I have completely
missed the point. What are we talking about?

> And to add an sgate mode to aprx is hardly crippling it when it solves problems.

I don't understand what problem it solves. What's wrong with your
packet destined for being relayed through a satellite accidentally
getting I-gated directly by someone else nearby? This guarantees that
your packet also makes it online, instead of making it dependent on
you successfully reaching the satellite and back down to Earth.

I interpret what is being suggested here as deliberately removing
first-hop I-gating from the 145.825MHz network, which just removes the
rock solid I-gate coverage near each ground station.

What about when an APRS satellite beacons its telemetry? When your
sgate hears this packet direct, will it drop it since it doesn't have
a consumed APRSAT* hop? How does it know what is a satellite and what
is another ground station near-by? (Hint: Whitelists are not a correct
answer for the entire network.)

Now, if we're only talking about your one specific ground station and
not the 145.825MHz network at large, then I am much more indifferent.
You don't need my permission to develop your own personal patches for
aprx.

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/