[aprssig] Correct PSAT & igating

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 11:55:17 EDT 2015

> So for regular terrestrial APRS use i agree that this is not something APRX
> should do differently. But for satellites it's a bit different as "direct"
> positions are a false position and has gone directly to an IGATE and not via
> "space".

It seems like the issue comes down to whether or not the APRSAT
constellation is motivated by the idea that bouncing an APRS packet
through a satellite is a novelty, or if the constellation is motivated
by the idea that being able to have satellite-like coverage for APRS
would be useful for users.

If I was beaconing on 145.825MHz because I felt that I really needed
satellite-like coverage, artificially reducing APRS coverage by
dropping any direct I-gates is a bad idea. If I'm beaconing on
145.825MHz because I want to get credit for bouncing a packet off a
satellite, I either need to accomplish a QSO with another user to get
a postcard certifying that I have bounced a packet off a satellite, or
just manually copy the packet out of my RF log and paste it on
Twitter.

If you want to try and build an entire separate APRS network for
satellites, so be it, but I'm not supporting crippling I-gates to
ensure that you get the street cred for bouncing a packet off a
satellite in an automated fashion.

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/