[aprssig] PSAT & igating

Paul Bramscher pfbram at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 12:36:31 EDT 2015

I could have sworn I didn't see anything there yesterday, and nothing
for N5ZNL on http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/pcsat.cgi.  Is it possible
that the servers are occasionally lagged?  Otherwise I'll have to chalk
it up as an early-onset senior moment.

It would seem logical that the only way a packet can be de-duped is if
it is gated to a server and a check is made.  If it's already been
submitted, then it's ignored.  But rather than simply dumping it then,
it would be arguably useful to keep it around a short time (e.g. an hour
or so?) in a data bucket with a simple API, like XML/REST.  Interested
hams could query their own callsigns and at least verify their operating
setups, propagation, etc.

For historical reasons, was this not part of the APRS igating design
because 2m (terrestrial) doesn't offer terribly much interesting in the
way of propagation compared to HF, 2m satellite operations or balloons,
etc.  Or would the data set be too large, even for a short caching period?

73, KD0KZE / Paul