[aprssig] Fwd: QIKCOM-2 SPoken Messages

Nagi Punyamurthula n0agi at n0agi.com
Thu Jul 23 12:16:09 EDT 2015

Bob, et al;
Wanted to run this idea by you all;
Over the last couple of months, I have been playing w/ building a prototype for POCSAG pager service to ride on top of APRS backbone.  A short video can be found here (early stages)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLQyw_SbzMU

the prototype’s objectives:

1.       Station A can send an APRS message of type POCSAG over the air on the network.  The message would obviously include the standard APRS message structure, except include the POCSAG “type ID” as part of the message.

2.       Stations identifying themselves as POCSAG capable (that is stations equipped w/ a POCSAG Tx/Encoder, that know how to parse and send an encoded POCSAG message), will react to this APRS message type, parse out the message and send an encoded POCSAG message thru its own POCSAG infrastructure and gate the packet to APRS-IS and mark it as “processed”

a.       Details are yet TB defined of course

3.       If Stations hearing these type of packets are NOT POCSAG capable, will hopefully digipeat so to move the message forward.

As you can tell, NOT all details have been fleshed out yet.  I am still noodling this idea and would love to include others of similar interest in expanding the APRS web if you will.

Would this be a good candidate for a satellite type digipeating ? may be, may be not

Just brainstorming as an idea, that’s all

Thanks

Nagi
http://N0AGI.com/