[aprssig] ARISS igated location anomaly/discrepancy

Mike Miller lists at kc9doa.com
Fri Jul 3 12:56:10 EDT 2015

On 30 Jun 2015 at 23:01, Stephen H. Smith via aprssig wrote:

> It's a standard UIview igate/digipeater/webserver setup running
> in a Windows
> micro-2003 virtual machine on my Acer 756 netbook. TNC is the
> UZ7HO Soundmodem
> soundcard soft TNC linked to UIview with the AGWpe-style TCP/IP
> interface. The
> Soundmodem is using a Behringer UCA-202 external USB semi-pro
> sound card. The
> UCA-202 is a superb performer for all sound card apps due to
> it's extremely low
> distortion, greater than 90 dB S/N and flat response from 1 Hz
> to 20KHz  +/-
> 0.5 dB .    Review here:
>     <http://WA8LMF.net/ham/uca202.htm>
>
> The RF part is using a Kenwood TM-221 monoband mobile and an
> Icom AH-7000
> discone antenna.  I thought the no-gain discone would have a
> very fat vertical
> radiation angle, but it doesn't work as well as I expected.
> After Bob's
> report on the 3/4-wave vertical, I think I am going to try that
> instead, once I
> come up with a feasable approach to the large-area ground plane
> under the whip.
>   (The discone is currently about 10' off the roof on a 7' mast
> in a TV
> tripod.)  I'm thinking a 6-10-foot square piece of hardware
> cloth spread out on
> the roof.
>
> Details on the UIview setup are here on my website:
>     <http://WA8LMF.net/map>

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL, SK  published several articles on using
crossed Moxons for fixed satellite antennas. They might work for
sat gate antennas. Unfortunately his wonderful antenna site is
no longer freely available. Several articles were published in
QST and might be available to ARRL members. One of the
disadvantages for normal satellite use, max gain straight up,
would be an advantage for the cell concept sat gates.

Mike kc9doa