[aprssig] Fwd: Re: PSAT Satgates (and outlandish EV idea?)

pfbram at comcast.net pfbram at comcast.net
Wed Jul 1 11:48:25 EDT 2015

I've got a couple spare Linksys WRT54G/L's with the right version numbers, waiting to be setup for Hamnet (when/if time allows). I don't have a rig in my car, but another neat possibility would be a Raspberry Pi or small laptop, on mesh wi-fi, attached to the rig.

Comcast/Xfinity is beginning to roll out a pervasive network in certain areas around the nation -- using their customer's own electricity and cable modems with a second channel. So it's not even necessary to do a cellphone-internet tether in much of my area for Comcast customers. Of course, I had that turned off -- don't feel comfortable being a hotspot for the cable company or Joe User.

Otherwise, even my no-contract Android phone has a tether option for about $5 more per month. This would turn it into an internet hotspot, which presumably you can lock down with a password.

73, KD0KZE / Paul