[aprssig] First digi versus last digi?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 20 15:49:00 EST 2015

To me, FIRST digi is the most important.  It allows NATIONAL tracking for
weeks with nothing but a tracker an 6 AA cells (no GPS).

Here’s how:

Use any timer/pic porocessor/tracker and simply transmit a short STATUS
text once every 10 minutes.

APRS.FI and/or FINDU.COM plot the location of this first
heard-no-posit-beacon and plots it as a “VICININTY” plot showing the
nearest digipeater that heard it.  FINDU does this now, I am not sure about
APRS.FI.

This gives you a plot anywhere in the country where that tracker has been
(to the nearest 10 miles or so).  And at one packet every 10 minutes at  5
Watt output, then the average power is 0.01W or at 7 volts (6 cells) at 1.4
mA which should last 2000 hours on a AA alkaline cell or about 3 months.

No, it is not precise tracking, but for tracking something all over the
country with no access to anything but 6 AA cells, it is a great technique.

ALSO of course, knowing the first digi while messaging is useful for
assuring that digi gets a copy of any messages to that station.

Bob, WB4APR.