[aprssig] weak signal ISS packet

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:57:35 EST 2015

> I have access to a network that gives me 40 Mbps whenever I want it pretty much nationwide, in my pocket all the time. And it supports APRS, here are my recent travels on findU reported through ATT's LTE and 4G network.

But is that Ham Radio?

Personally I believe the best thing we could do for APRS is move the
APRS-IS from the Echolink model (clients allowed access from the
Internet) to the IRLP model (using Internet for linking only.)   It
wouldn't prevent access for folks with phones - but it would have to
be done differently.

> But I'm sure I'm not the only one intrigued by your conversations, what cities have the 100kbps and 20 Mbps amateur networks? I want to know more...

HamWAN in Seattle region is doing great things:   http://www.hamwan.org

Most impressive Ham Networking System I've seen recently was the
EuroHamNet presentation from last years DCC.

EuroHAMNET from the DCC on HamRadioNow -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytuOqcYgOtg

I'm looking forward to checking out their 'HamBook' application.

> Steve K4HG

Bill, WA7NWP