[aprssig] weak signal ISS packet

Dave B g8kbvdave at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 04:43:35 EST 2015

Dont' ask me exactly "How" to do it, but with modern soundcard modems, should
it not be possible to cater for all eventualities, "on the fly"?

Analyze what comes in, to decide if the RX in use is using de-emphasis, or not,
and apply correction as  needed.

Have a configuration setting, to select if TX Pre-emphasis is in use, and what sort
of modulation (Frequency or Phase modulation) is in use.

Then for transmission, pre-distort the TX waveform accordingly in software, and
on RX, apply correction if needed, in software.

Like I said, I wish I knew how to do that sort of stuf myself.   Similar things are
done these days at celular sites, to use "economic" less than linear economic to
PA stages, pre-distoring the TX signal to counter the distortion in the TX.

If the likes of UZ7HO's soundmodem and DireWolf, can have multiple "decoders"
running, it should in essance be possible to cater for all eventuallities on RX,
even on a single "FM" analogue channel.    Doable now on most capable PC's I
suspect, doable soon with systems based arround such modules as the
BeagleBone boards, and maybe (if the FPU can be used for open source stuff) on
other ARM based boards.

Lastly...  With the advent of various digital voice modes, why the heck are we
not moving Packet/APRS forward to use faster but robust modulation schemes
and methods?

Yes, there is a S+N:N penalty, but if I can reliably work a DMR repeater (GB7NS)
some 63 miles away via a non-LOS path (IO92MA to IO91WG to be precise) with
only 1W out on 70cms to a mediocre white stick at some 25' off the deck, why
are we not trying to advance the packet network forward to such transmission
formats?   On receive, my DMR radio (an old DP3600) at most only ever shows
"one bar" of signal, but decodes to very good audio just fine.

The same rig, antenna, path etc using GB3NS (analogue FM, co sited with
GP7NS) though workable, the audio both ways is "very" scratchy.   That
comparison was a real eye opener for me, in regards to "Digital vs Analogue"
capabilities over the same path.   Yes, there is a "cliff edge effect", but that "cliff
edge" seems to be a lot further away than many assume.

I won't even start on about HF packet, that's stuck in even darker places than
1200bd VHF packet/APRS.

OK, my first Spleen venting of 2015.  Appologies, but I know I'm not the only
one who holds these views.

73, rock, coat, hat(tin) ready.

Dave G0WBX.