[aprssig] APRS and goTenna

Richard Amirault ramirault at comcast.net
Fri Dec 18 21:29:08 EST 2015

On 12/18/2015 7:13 PM, Bill Vodall wrote:
> So much publicity and advertising these days for the "new technology"
> of the goTenna - when we've been doing the same and much much more for
> 20+ years.
>
>    http://www.wsj.com/articles/no-cell-signal-this-can-help-when-you-wander-off-grid-1450203815

These works on MURS frequencies and, like any radio signal, successful
communication varies with location. I suspect that most users will be
disappointed in the coverage radius of these units. Besides ... with no
cell signals ... that means no power to re-charge your smartphone
(needed to use these) Unless you have provided a way to re-charge your
phone these will have a *very* limited time of use.

--
Richard Amirault
N1JDU