[aprssig] GPS for D700

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Aug 28 12:03:05 EDT 2015

Or if you want to do something hammish, the U-blox 6m is under $12 new on Ebay now. This unit outperforms any GPS I've used, it gets lock from a cold start in under 30 seconds inside my house which has a metal roof. Nothing else will even maintain lock achieved outside when brought into the house.

If you don't have have a junk box to supply the other parts add $1 each for Ebaying a buck converter for cool power, RS232 converter, and a plastic box. You can even splurge by sending $15-16 for the U-blox 7 or 8, which will improve accuracy by doing simultaneous Glonass and GPS, but that is probably overkill for APRS since the protocol only sends hundredths of a minute.

Steve K4HG