[aprssig] APRN (Automatic Picture Relay Network) revival?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Aug 8 09:53:50 EDT 2015

Can we go back and look at the APRN again to see if it is time to upgrade
it to digital, so that images can be sent end-to-end instead of posted to
web pages?

Given the same resolution of a simple SSTV (120 by 120 pixels?) how small
of a JPEG file can result?  Shouldnt take long at 9600 baud.

The application is remote controlled ROBOTS for the ARRL's STEM outreach.
Students build "mars rovers" and then each school lets the kids then try to
control the other school's robot over APRS.

Mark Spencer at the ARRL has developed the MAREA concepts for the remote
control, and I want to revive the APRN concept to give the robots vision.

see: http://www.arrl.org/marea-ham-radio-robotics
and: http://aprs.org/aprn.html

Bob, WB4APR