[aprssig] Igate Symbol

Bruce W. Martin aprs at almostanywhere.com
Fri Aug 7 10:50:29 EDT 2015

I recall that what I did was appropriate at the time and followed convention but I cannot cite the source. My recollection was that the use of the black diamond and I character indicated an iGate that was primarily indicative of a receive only gate and had no digipeat or transmit capability. The green star with the I character indicated a digipeater and iGate and was usually used when both were 2-way capable. I am not sure what would be appropriate for a digipeater with a receive-only iGate. It has been a few years but I think that I had the digipeater using a different callsign and btext so it used the green star and the iGate use the black diamond with the I. Again, I believe that at the time it was approved best practice and probably still is.

That is my story and I am sticking to it. At least until someone shows me where I sad something else at another time.

Bruce, KQ4TV