[aprssig] APRS Golden Packet and On-Target Events (18 July 2015)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 14 10:33:27 EDT 2015

Planning is beginning for this year’s annual APRS Golden Packet event and
Scouting’s Operation On-Target events.

See http://aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

With the 2000 mile Golden Packet success from Maine to Georgia last
year(finally), we hope to encourage more APRS operators to get out there
this year and put your hill top/mountain top/linear trail on the map this
year.  It takes 14 hops along the Appalachians, but should take less along
the Western mountains so maybe this year is the year the Pacific and
Mountain guys get organized.

Out West, with their 14,000’ mountains there is lots of ham activity in
support of Scoutings Operation On-Target, but so far little use of APRS in
supporting that event.  Similarly, back East, we man 14 mountain tops with
APRS Golden Packet hams, but have seen no On-Target Scouting activity.

Anyway, it is a great opportunity to get out of the shack and have some
excitement outdoors.  See the above web page and see if you can organize
something in your area.

Bob Bruninga, WB4APR