[aprssig] aprs.fi google map failure on Firefox/Linux

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Apr 2 04:20:37 EDT 2015

aprs.fi should be back soonish. I see the speculation for the reasons is
already getting on. :)

Google had noticed that aprs.fi has integrated support for OSM map tiles
*and* Street View. I hadn't noticed that the combination of Street View on
top of anything else than Google Maps is forbidden according to the TOS.
Or I had just forgotten about it when implementing OSM or Street View
(there was probably a year or two of time in between..).

They had sent me a few emails to warn about the unapproved configs,
starting on 5th of March. I had moved away from reading emails regularly
in Gmail a long while back, but forgotten to arrange for these emails from
Google APIs to go to my primary email address. Silly me.

Oh well. OSM support is disabled for now, and I notified Google that
aprs.fi is again compliant with the terms. Should be back soonish.

I might put OSM support back later, and remove Street View instead, as OSM
is probably more useful in practice at some areas (although admittedly
less visual and "cool"). Or maybe make some sort of arrangement where
Street View only works if you have Google Maps selected instead of OSM.
Have to check with the Google folks if that's OK.

   - Hessu