[aprssig] aprs.fi google map failure on Firefox/Linux

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Apr 1 22:10:23 EDT 2015

On Apr 1, 2015, at 9:49 PM, Brady Small <brady at bradysmall.com> wrote:

> I had the same issue on the big machine, but it does load on my phone...

Broken on MacOS, and iOS8 on both iPhone and iPad. The link talks about export restrictions, I wonder if that is what tripped him up. Can't imagine there is a problem with export to Finland though.

There is also a monthly limit on the number of page views gmaps serves for free to an API account. I've had to pay some months for findU for years, but it is linked to my Adwords account and when the gmap charge is more than the ad payout they carry it and over the long term I always manage to come out positive when there is less traffic. aprs.fi has Adwords as well, so if cost were the issue I'd have expected they would have a nice friendly chat like they had with me, rather than just cut it off...

The high price of success.

I hope it gets fixed, if everyone comes over to findU it will cost me a fortune! Plus I'd have to update my interface, I never bothered to go full-on with google maps because aprs.fi did it so well.

And on either site, remember to click on the ads to pay for the maps! ;-)

Steve K4HG