[aprssig] Who/where is the Certificate Authority for the APRS-IS servers?

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:28:40 EDT 2014

I was planning on supporting the null cipher for SSL links to the
APRS-IS servers. Is there any reason to support encrypting ciphers at
all? Considering the number of jurisdictions where encryption isn't
allowed, is it worth making it conditional versus just always locking to
 null ciphers?

In any case, it's working now, except that I
occasionally find servers in the ssl.aprs2.net pool that aren't playing by the rules; they have
SSL but don't seem to have certificates signed by the correct CA, so my
connection gets rejected. Sometimes, I find a good server, and then all
works well.

Andrew, KA2DDO

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:44:50 -0700
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Who/where is the Certificate Authority for the	APRS-IS servers?
>
> Andrew,
>
> The Tier 2 servers that have been configured for experimental SSL
> identify with certificates signed by a custom Tier 2 Certificate
> Authority. For client verification, they check that certificates are
> signed by ARRL LotW.
[snip]