[aprssig] APRS Mobile 1.0 Released for iPhone/iPad

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Sep 22 20:07:09 EDT 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 6:49 PM, Javier Henderson <javier at kjsl.org> wrote:

> You are making a lot of assumptions, rather than rehash everything please refer to past posts on this, it's all been explained how the proposal involving SSL certificates includes workarounds for those using ancient or modern software that doesn't have native support, as well as the benefits of using strong authentication, such as new services for example.

As I say, it is possible to build a new network to parallel the APRS IS, but unless there is a reason that compels all users to participate most won't, and all you get is a fractured APRS. "new services" is a nice phrase, but what services do you have in mind that would make users want to use it? And who is going to build this?

> Aren't we suppose to innovate, advance the state of the art, and so on?

Yes. But making something more complex and fracturing something that works well, is not what I call innovation. If you have an idea in mind, then you need to do what the last generation of APRS innovators did. Build it. If it is good users will come. TAPR has a saying "He who builds, rules". That has worked in the APRS world too. So if you want to innovate, stop talking and just do it!

Steve K4HG