[aprssig] Simple Network Paging Protocol to APRS Gateway

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 21:41:36 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:
> One concern about this, is that it doesn't do any excuse at authentication
> to confirm the person sending a message is a licensed amateur radio
> operator, so it could allow unlicensed users to transmit to RF.

I thought about implementing SNPP's authentication extension, but
decided that it hamstrung the simple elegance of the protocol.

I'm not willing to require users to provide their APRS-IS passwords
every time they log in, since even I have found calculating those
passwords seriously inconvenient. I move between systems so much that
the easiest way to get passwords is through the web generators, but
they keep catching flak and getting shut down so I keep needing to
find new password hashers.

In the end, I don't plan on leaving this one exposed to the Internet
indefinitely, so the daemon's implicit trust can be limited to each
deployment's LAN by the gateway firewall.

So yes, this daemon doesn't use the APRS authentication mechanism du
jour. I'm more interested in people's first impressions on the daemon
itself.

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/