[aprssig] odd siting in these here parts

andrewemt andrewemt at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:45:10 EDT 2014

I've seen these sorts of messages before, and they seem to be due to buffer overruns in some station's receive code. I had horrible overrun issues when first writing an APRS client due to the highly inefficient API's in Microsoft Windows and then Java on top of it, where I actually lost sequences of characters between adjacent frames on a busy channel, such that the end of one frame and the beginning of the next was lost.

This shouldn't be an issue for I-gates, because TCP/IP networking can back-pressure over-fast senders; it's generally only a problem for RF receivers in poorly written clients on slow computers. Are there any really badly-written I-gates with buffer overrun problems (or I-gate clients who use non-blocking sockets to busy APRS-IS servers)?

Andrew, KA2DDO