[aprssig] Digital two-way Radio communication in emergency situations

andrewemt andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:01:31 EDT 2014

Uh, if the digi (as opposed to a human administrator) specifies the timeslot for each tracker, then those trackers have to be two-way (not transmit-only) in order to be able to hear their assignments. Pretty much eliminates all current dedicated trackers, since they can't receive.

And, as you point out, you still have the hidden transmitter problem if you have any central authority (such as your suggested digi) handing out slot assignments, and it can't hear every tracker.

Split frequencies only help a little if there is no coordination among all the trackers, and the digis will just copy the chaos to their output frequency.

Assuming we _can_ get two-way trackers that can listen for assignments, is the AIS protocol still patented somewhere in the world (despite the US government overturning the patent in the US)? I wouldn't want to implement something that would get some users in trouble due to patent infringement.

Just wondering if it's worth trying to implement a dynamic time-slotting (as opposed to the existing static time-slotting the transmit-only trackers use), and whether it could successfully coexist with existing legacy transmit-whenever-I-want-to units.

Andrew, KA2DDO