[aprssig] Digital two-way Radio communication in emergency situations

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 13:49:28 EDT 2014

> Well, nothing says we have to stay at 1200 baud. There have been 9600 baud
> amateur radio modems around for over a decade.

There have been 19.2K (Kantronics) and 56K modems for over two
decades.  9k6 significantly longer..

  http://www.wa4dsy.net/rfmodem.html

Argent Data's T3-9670  (9k6+ on 440 for less than $100) may break
things loose.   The (mythical) UDR-X would help even more if it ever
hits the market.

> (using a different AX.25 PID value) could be used for acknowledged messaging
> and log transmission (perhaps metering the log transmissions to prevent
> clogging the channel) while asynchronous un-acked APRS is still used for
> position and status reporting.

Like DAMA?   Also 2+ decades.

> Can we go to a wider (more spectrum - eating) channel to gain baud rate? In
> the quoted system, there might not be voice repeaters to piggyback off, so
> we don't have to be constrained by their limitations.

Yes.

We have the technology - just not the use case nor the will...

Bill, WA7NWP - and I'm the optimist...