[aprssig] Depiction and APRS

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Sep 4 17:16:56 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Our tracking experiment at Burning Man went pretty well - we had 22
self-contained trackers on a single channel with a 6-second update rate
(9600 baud, 4 slots/second, ~600 mW) and aside from some vehicles moving
a lot more of the time than expected and running down the batteries
early, we got solid tracks all week as far out as 15 miles before the
hills got in the way.

We ran Depiction for the map display, but documentation for the APRS
Live module is very sparse.  The apparent inability to limit or clear
the trails for stations cluttered up the map quickly and was probably
the biggest problem on that side.

Does anyone have contact information for the developers, or know of a
discussion group?  I'd like to follow up on this stuff while it's still
fresh in my mind.

Scott
N1VG