[aprssig] Garbled echo-back caused multiple beacons

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:12:27 EDT 2014

Greetings, all.

I just had a weird "feature" with my station. I periodically run a 2-way I-gate for testing purposes, and found that APRS-IS was showing mangled copies of my beacon. Turns out the problem was that I was receiving mangled digipeats of my own beacon over RF, and, because the packet checksum didn't match, my station was I-gating the mangled packets immediately after the original "clean" packet was sent to APRS-IS.

Unfortunately, the mangling digipeaters didn't have tracing turned on, so I don't know who was chewing my packets.

Should my station protect itself from such behavior by not digipeating or I-gating any traffic whose original sender's callsign-SSID matches my station's callsign-SSID?

Andrew, KA2DDO