[aprssig] New Icons for APRS software?

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu May 22 09:26:42 EDT 2014

On Thu, 22 May 2014, Stephen H. Smith wrote:

> On 5/22/2014 4:15 AM, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
>
>> The set is made in Adobe Illustrator. I have a script to export it with a
>> single click to transparent PNG at various resolutions (currently it's
>> doing
>> 24x24 48x48 64x64 128x128 per symbol). Layout similar to the old set, so
>> it's
>> easy to take into use - just adjust the multipliers.
>
> What do they look like when reduced to 16x16 ???  All existing apps assume
> the 16x16 pixel grid.

Haven't tried yet, as old unmaintained apps were not a design target. Old
apps can, of course, keep using the old symbol graphics, as there are no
changes in the actual meanings of the symbols. This is just a bump in the
resolution and looks, and changing to vector format for proper upscaling,
and making it a bit easier to draw on and improve.

It's likely that some symbols would require adjustments to be good on
16x16. But since the .ai sources are available, someone can continue to do
that, if they're interested and have the time.

Having the .ai source format should also make it easier to remap colours
for "night mode" displays.

The initial release won't solve all of our issues and make you coffee
while doing so, but at the very least it should be an easier starting
point for other improvements (such as updated 16x16 symbols).

> Unless you are displaying maps on a quad-HD display, the larger formats are
> going to cover up too much of the map beneath.

The quad-HD / double resolution ("retina" et al) seem to require 48x48 or
so.

24x24 seems good to me on modern displays where 16x16 is slightly too
small (non-retina iPhone/iPad).

   - Hessu