[aprssig] New Icons for APRS software?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue May 20 08:11:30 EDT 2014

On 5/20/2014 12:35 AM, SARTrack Admin wrote:
> Some time ago there was a discussion on having a proffesional graphics artist
> making a complete set of APRS icons for use in client software.
> I am still very interested in getting a fresh set of icons for my software,
> especially if Bob is adding new ones, and I cannot produce them.
>
> Is any work in progress anywhere on this? I would be happy to support it
> financially.
> If we could pool our resources, it would maybe be possible to get this done
> professionally.
>
> Thanks, Bart

Since every application uses the symbol set stored and/or rendered in a
different way:

o    Vector or bitmap

o   Landscape or portrait rectangular grids with multiple cells,   one or two
linear strips of cells 1 icon high,   several hundred "mini-graphics" in
individual files.

o   16x16 pixels square or 20x20 pixels square or 32x32 pixels square, etc.

o   With or without overlay character(s) already embedded as part of the
background bitmap (rather than as a separate ASCII text character drawn on top).

o   In a variety of file formats (.BMP, .GIF, etc), with or without a
transparency attribute.

there will never be a single universal ready-to-use symbol set.

Not to mention those apps where the symbol set is inaccessibly embedded into a
compiled .EXE file.     Or embedded in unchangeable firmware like Kenwood radios.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

High Performance Sound Systems for Soundcard Apps
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/imic.htm
    http://wa8lmf.net/ham/uca202.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths