[aprssig] Balloon Found (and RANT)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 4 17:40:12 EDT 2014

I expected to be pilorized for our software glitch that resulted in a 2
second rate for over an hour, (while there were two other balloons in range
too).  But I never saw a single active APRS mobile anywhere near their
launch or recovery sites that I could contact!

It AMAZES me how a university launching 2 balloons does not have a single
APRS mobile showing on the map for the launch or the chase.  Or do they
just launch them as throw-aways?  I saw not one single APRS mobile
converging on their two balloon impact points (which unfortunately) was in
dense trees on a mountain.

If they had anyone on APRS, I could have sent a message and asked if they
needed any search help (after we found ours).  But no, just like those
confounded transmit-only trackers, we now have balloon events with the
launch and recovery teams not making themselves available at-all to the
surrounding radio community.

Nor doing the simple thing of posting APRS BULLETINS live on the air about
that is going on...  That is one of the main valus of APRS, tactical
real-time distribution of info to everyone in the area.

And making themselves "seen" so they can be contacted..

Remember, the FREQ field was added to APRS a decade ago so that people can
not only see where you are, but how to contact you.  And both Kenwood and
Yaesu have responded with radios that do that.  But half of the hams with
those radios don't even bother turning on the feature.

You can drive right buy these guys who are blasting away on the amateur
radio band, but giving no clue where they are listening.

Also, we have had Voice Alert now for over a decade so that ANY APRS mobile
operator can be contacted by VOICE on the APRS channel, but again, the
majority of APRS operators ignore this very fundamental and powerful aspect
of APRS.

See http://aprs.org/VoiceAlert3.html

RANT off.

Bob,wb4apr