[aprssig] APRS-IS Passcode alternative: SSL + Certificates, with no data encryption

pfbram at comcast.net pfbram at comcast.net
Mon Mar 31 16:47:09 EDT 2014

Just thinking out loud here, but how about a separate authentication/verification system in which I/SGATE operators login to an SSL web-based application and provide something like callsign, current grid, IS passcode and the current IP address of their IGATE. A T2 server must see data coming from that IP(s), and perhaps rough lat/long coordinates, or it is rejected. UDP contains source IP.

A strategy like this would have its problems, especially with mobile (wi-fi hotspots) and DHCP situations. It would be irritating to update your IP periodically, and it's possible that your IP could change without your knowledge -- throwing your IGATE offline. And it would require a centralized database.

Regards,
Paul / KD0KZE