[aprssig] APRS-IS Passcode Has Become An Utter and Total Joke....

Andrew Pavlin AndrewEMT at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 28 16:52:41 EDT 2014

You mean I've been wasting my time validating callsigns before issuing passcodes to users of my software? ;-)

Bear in mind that the open-source Xastir software includes the callpass program as well, so self-service has been out there for years. It's just become ridiculously easy lately. Not sure why all those people thought they should provide that "service".

So what shall we do in the meantime? Migrate to a new authentication scheme in APRS-IS servers and eventually drop support for the old one? That would be rough on all the die-hard UIView users. :-)

Just FYI, I am currently working on an HMAC scheme for authenticated telecommand over APRS. Maybe something like that would work for APRS-IS.

The key is to make sure the ability to issue authenticated identities doesn't get into the "wrong hands", as always. It would be a bear for the network itself to have to issue ID's, but that may be what we have to go to, since, if anyone can issue authorization, then everyone can.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC ("Yet Another APRS Client")
http://www.ka2ddo.org/ka2ddo/YAAC.html