[aprssig] IGate issue

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Mar 18 05:37:34 EDT 2014

http://wiki.ham.fi/Aprs.fi_Info_pages#Stations_heard_by_X.2C_and_stations_which_heard_Y

>         Stations heard by X, and stations which heard Y
>
> aprs.fi collects monthly summaries of digipeater and igate statistics.
> The info page shows both a table of digipeaters and igates which heard
> the given station, and (if the station is a digipeater or igate) which
> other stations where heard by that station. The most recently updated
> entries are shown using a larger font.
>
> These statistics are usually somewhat correct, but there are several
> caveats, and as you've probably heard -- there are lies, damn lies,
> and statistics.
>
>   * The APRS-IS network that feeds the APRS packets from the igates to
>     aprs.fi does duplicate suppression. Only the first gated copy of a
>     packet traverses the entire network. All other duplicate copies
>     seen within 30 seconds after the first packet are dropped by
>     APRS-IS. A packet which is heard by multiple igates normally gets
>     credited only for a single igate.
>   * A lot of digipeaters do not add their own callsign in the packet's
>     path when retransmitting a packet. aprs.fi cannot possibly know
>     about those.
>   * A lot of digipeaters do callsign substitution instead of
>     insertion, replacing original path components. A packet with a
>     path of OH7RDÖ,WIDE2-1 could have been a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 packet in
>     the first place, and gone through OH7RDÖ and another unknown
>     digipeater.
>   * The aprs.fi "first heard" algorithm tries to go on the safe side:
>     if it's not sure, it doesn't count as directly heard. But even
>     then, some incorrect overly long paths are shown.
>   * Stations transmitting invalid or fake coordinates will skew these
>     statistics. If the transmitting station claims to be 1000 km away
>     (due to a bad GPS fix), my best guess can only be that the station
>     actually is that far away.
>   * Items and objects are not shown here, since they are usually far
>     away from the transmitter which transmitted the packets.

Packets have to meet a lot of criteria to be called "Heard by" at
aprs.fi.  Most likely cause is that all of your stations are using the
recommended path of "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" which aprs.fi doesn't consider to
be a direct reception.  Change your mobile to WIDE1-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
and see if it then shows up in the list.